Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Gotta post somethin'

Hello to all.

Again, I'm sorry for the lack of posts but I've been giving to ol' wrist a bit of a break these days. I feel like I needed a bit of a break and I've been working on a few interesting but visually boring proposals. More of a calm before the storm kind of thing. I just hope the storm isn't months away.

Anyways, I felt like I should post something for those 2 people who keep checking up to see nothing new (you cats know who you are... thanks mom, dad).

This is the pilot episode I did for Doodlez, possibly the best thing I've ever worked on. I was approached by a company in the maritimes here in Canada to come up with an idea to pitch to the local toon station Teletoon. I was leaving for the ritualistic 6 months in Europe so I had a pretty tight deadline and a tiny budget. So I decided to do it myself and use a lot of the cheats inherent to Flash. Me, I think it came out pretty good...




Can you tell that I'm a Chuck Jones fan? Yeah I lifted the idea a little but I truely feel like I made it my own. It took me about 3 weeks and a coffee iv to get this thing done. I have no idea how I pulled it off. The glass shatter alone took me about 3 days. I envy you computer people sometimes.

So that was the pilot and there ended up being 49 more of these little guys. It was a great 2 years of work and I miss it. I fell like I'm taking all the credit though, Campbell MacKinley did the majority of the directing when he took over for season 2 and he did a great job. Also, Duker and Lambey did a great job mimicking and improving on my child-like designs. Because of these guys and the talented animators Doodlez won the Gemini for best animated balh blah 2 years in a row (tv awards in Canada). Good on ya everyone.

Stay cool...

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY GOD!! THis animation is tooo COOOL!! GREAT animation and the story is real funny!! AWESOME!! WOW!! Two thumbs up!!

BTW off topic ... somehow it just "click" in my head ... your blog name is "Taro Fish" ... is that your favourite food?! MAN!! I haven't eat that for a long time ... somehow your blog name make me realise I am V hungry .... :P

Get back to the point ... Best of luck with your project!! GREAT Animation!!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Angie Pansey said...

At first I thought you had mentioned Chuck Norris, that's how I got reeled in...my bad.

Love the drawings in your blog!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Great pilot, I hadn't seen it in years, can't wait to see what else you've been cooking up.

5:02 PM  
Blogger spacesick said...

oh my god. you're batman!

I don't know how the hell you folks do it, but I hope I can one day do something with even a drop of the awesomeness in that short.

oh, and that ruled.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Jeremiah Alcorn said...

Hey Sean. Yeah man, Doodlez is awesome! Steve let me barrow his DVD when I was in Chicago, so I saw 'em all! Fanatastic work sir. You guys really had something special with that show. And the fact that you put this pilot together in 3 weeks makes me sick. Darn you and your Flash goodness, DARN YOU!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Jason C said...

Ahh.. Good old Doodlez.. Best show I've ever worked on.. And ii can safely say.. best show I'll probably ever work on. . I've always loved this pilot.. It looks sharp.. I also liked the grey toned paper of season 1 too.. ahh.. memories... all the late nights.. All the tight deadlines... and sad to say... I miss it.. =(

keep posting Sean..

12:14 PM  
Blogger Andy J Smith illustration said...

Very cool blog! Nice work throughout! I think I'd been to your old site way back when but this stuff is great! Was referred here by Lambey's blog... Killer character designs!

GO HABS GO!

-Andy

10:55 AM  
Blogger CR said...

Love your work. That cartoon was cool

11:50 AM  
Blogger Nunumi said...

Whaou! So YOU'RE the one behind this little animation jewel!!! I remember I was always soo happy to watch it on Teletoon. May I virtualy shake your hand??

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home